The Southeast Area Farmers’ Market kicks off its 2014 season June 20. The market will continue at its previous locations:
· Fridays, 3 to 7 p.m. at Garfield Park, Burton Street and Madison Avenue SE.
· Saturdays, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Gerald R Ford Academic Center, Madison Avenue just south of Franklin Street SE.
Both market sites will feature local, chemical free produce and accept SNAP/EBT, Double Up Food Bucks and WIC & Sr. ProjectFresh as well as cash and debit cards.
This marks the fourth year that local food justice non-profit, Our Kitchen Table (OKT), has managed the market in partnership with the Kent County Health Department and Greater Grand Rapids Food System Council.OKT has hired Dorothy Griswold as the market’s new manager. Griswold has been working in the local food movement in Grand Rapids for 11 years. She actually helped to found the Southeast Area Farmers’ Market when it first opened nearly a decade ago.
2014 OKT-sponsored market events
· June 28 Summer Celebration with special activities and music.
· July 10, 11 & 12 and Sept. 4 & 6, Urban Foraging Workshop.
· Aug. 1& 2, Make Your Own Personal Care Items Workshop
· Sept. 18 & 20, Art at the Market
· Oct. 11, Greens Cook-off and Fried Green Tomato Festival
· Oct. 16& 18, World Food Day Activities
· Oct. 25, Fall Celebration