August is here and we have a bountiful harvest from our Southeast Area Farmer’s Market vendors. Take a pick from what’s in season:
- Tomatoes – Red or green, tomatoes are full of vitamin C and healthy antioxidants, this summer classic is a versatile way to prevent heart disease. Not sure what to do with the green ones? You’re in luck, as we are giving away a free cookbook of green tomato recipes at the market.
- Greens (mustard, turnip, collard) Proven to lower cholesterol, greens are a simple way to obtain high concentrations of vitamins A and C.
- Summer squash – An excellent source of manganese and vitamin C, summer squash provides a great combination of conventional antioxidant nutrients.
- Green beans – An often overlooked side dish, especially when steamed, provides tasty cardiovascular health.
- One of our vendors, Mrs. Woodard, has peaches and other fruit from a local organic orchard.
You can always find chemical free produce at the Southeast Area Farmers Market, the majority of which is grown in our vendors’ backyards. Don’t forget the market has two locations: Gerald R. Ford Middle School on Fridays 2 p.m. to 7 p.m. and Garfield Park on Saturdays 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Both locations accept cash, debit, EBT, and Double Up Food Bucks. With Double Up Food Bucks, receive up to $20 of free produce when using your EBT card ($2 free for every $2 you spend).