First Lady Michelle Obama’s Let’s Move organization and U.S. Department of Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack proclaimed August 3-9, 2014 as National Farmers Market Week. This year marks the 15th Annual National Farmers Market Week recognizing the important role that farmers’ markets play.
The Southeast Area Farmers’ Market is celebrating National Farmers’ Market Week with its Bike to Market celebration on Saturday Aug. 9, in conjunction with the national event sponsored by She Rides Her Own Way. We hope to see our friends and neighbors peddling to the market Saturday!
Let’s Move lists these five reasons to shop farmers’ markets:
- Many farmers markets now accept credit cards, SNAP benefits, and other nutrition benefits.
- Farmers markets feature what’s at the peak of season in your region, so you can often find your favorites, along with new items that will stretch your culinary imagination.
- On market day, farmers love to share their secrets. First among them are tips on how to prepare fresh offerings, so if you need to know what to do with kohlrabi or are looking for something to bump up your tomato salsa, just ask.
- Farmers; markets offer a spectrum of colorful fruits and vegetables. They are full of great nutrients, including antioxidants and phytonutrients. The more color variety, the better!
- Farmers markets are kid-friendly. Let your kids pick out something new to try. Then, let them help prepare a meal or choose a snack based on what caught their eye. These cooking resources for kidscan help, too.