Re-posted fron Healthy Food Action
Keep up the fight for a healthier Farm Bill, Senators need to hear from the health community as floor debate begins!
Any day now the Senate will begin floor debate of the Agriculture, Reform, Food and Jobs Act of 2012.
In a recent national poll, 78 percent of Americans said that making nutritious and healthy foods more affordable and accessible should be a top priority in the Farm Bill. Unfortunately, the current Senate version of the bill does not go far enough in achieving that goal and they need to hear from the health community before it’s too late!
Please contact your Senator today by sending the letter below and ask them to:
* Resist any further cuts to conservation programs that support the clean air, water and soil in which our food is grown.
* Restore funding for SNAP (current proposed cut is $4.49 billion) and support Hunger-Free Community Incentive Grants to increase purchases by SNAP customers at farmers markets and other healthy food retailers.
* Vote for the Packer Ban (Grassley/Conrad amendment) to limit consolidation in the meat industry
* Support farm to school initiatives that would make the purchasing of local foods easier.
* Increase funding for the Community Food Projects Program and the Farmers Market and Local Food Promotion Program to include development of food hubs.
* Support farmers of color, 20 percent of whom grow fruits and vegetables, by voting for the Udall Amendment to increase funding for the Outreach Assistance Program for Socially Disadvantaged Farmers and Ranchers, which will also now benefit Veteran farmers and ranchers.
Please enter your zip/postal code: