Last chance to stock upon clean local produce for winter!
On Nov. 2, three community partners will be providing information and resources:
Grand Rapids Fire Department Residential Safety Program. The RSP is a voluntary program to prevent fires. The goal is to reduce the number and severity of fires. It offers:
- Fire safety checks
- Free smoke alarm upgrades and installations
- Free carbon monoxide (CO) alarm installations
- One-on-one fire safety consultation
Grand Rapids Creative Youth Center. CYC offers after school creative writing programming to Grand Rapids youth (1st graders through high school seniors) at no cost to families.
Grand Rapids Public Library “Storytimes” Fun and educational storytimes for children ages birth – 5 years old.
The Grand Rapids Fire Department is now accepting applications for this summer’s Fire Youth Academy for high school freshmen, sophomores and juniors. The academy runs 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. June 18-22 at the Grand Rapids Fire Training Center, 1101 Monroe Ave. NW.
The one-week course includes classroom and hands-on activities that cover:
- Search and rescue
- Fire engine and aerial truck operations
- Special rescue operations
- Protective equipment
- Fire prevention
- Fire investigation
- Emergency medical services
To participate, students must:
- Be a high school sophomore, junior or senior
- Be younger than 18
- Have a minimum GPA of 2.0
- Be in good standing at school
- Understands and/or exhibits the GRFD core values of honesty, integrity, loyalty, teamwork and excellence
- Have no felony convictions
- Be in good physical condition and pass a physical
To apply online or for more information, visit grandrapidsmi.gov/Services/Apply-for-the-Fire-Youth-Academy.