Shop the Southeast Area Farmers’ Market to support the local food economy!
Saturdays 11 a.m – 4 p.m. Aug 3, 10, & 24 at MLK Jr. Park. Aug. 31 at LINC.
Who’s ready for National Farmers Market Week? The annual event celebrating the important role farmers markets play in the nation’s food system kicks off on August 4. Whether you manage a market, or just like to shop at one, here are 5 ways you can not only help make this year’s celebration, the biggest and best yet, but support farmers markets all year long!
|1. Visit your local farmers market – obviously! Meet a friend, take your family, or just spend a relaxing day by yourself taking in the fun and festivities. Click here to find a farmers market near you.
2. Support the farmers! Did you know farmers receive only 15 cents of every food dollar that shoppers spend at traditional food retail outlets, like grocery stores? But when you shop at a farmers market, 100% of your food dollar goes directly to the farmer. So be sure to buy some farm-fresh food when you visit. Your support is particularly important to new and young farmers, who rely on farmers markets to grow their business.
3. Become a volunteer! It takes a lot of work to operate a farmers market, and often with limited staff and a tight budget. Reach out to your local market and find out how you can help.
4. Spread the word! Tell your friends and family why you love farmers markets, and encourage them to become regular shoppers. Become an influencer for local agriculture; share your market’s social media posts, or create some of your own. Be sure to follow FMC on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram and share our posts about the benefits of farmers markets, too.
Celebrate by shopping at the Southeast Area Farmers’ Market Saturday! Here’s why you’ll be glad you did!
Visit the Southeast Area Farmers’ Market this weekend!
- 3 to 5 p.m. Fridays
- 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturdays
- MLK Jr. Park, 900 Fuller Ave. SE 49506
Fresh local produce, cottage foods &the YMCA Veggie Van. We accept Bridge Cards, SNAP, WIC, Double Up Food Bucks, Sr. Project Fresh and more!